When buying database software, it is important that you carefully assess what you’re looking for. You might be surprised that while you were planning on buying a server database, a desktop database might actually suffice. On the contrary, you might also be shocked to find out that you have more needs than what a desktop database can handle.
To assess your needs, ask yourself the following and use your answers to find the right database software for you.
1. How often will the data be modified? Who will make these modifications?
2. Who will be responsible for maintaining the data?
3. What hardware is available? Is there a budget for purchasing additional hardware?
4. Who will be providing IT support for the database?
5. Will data access be offered over the Internet? If so, what level of access should be supported?
What Database Software Can Offer You
Desktop databases are normally used on standard personal computers. Server databases on the other hand, contain tools to ensure the consistency and reliability of data and are intended for multi-user applications.
1. Desktop databases give inexpensive and simple solution to less complex data storage and manipulation needs. A few of the benefits you can get by using a desktop database include:
– Desktop databases come cheap.
– Desktop databases are simple to use.
– Desktop databases offer web solutions.
2. Server databases offer you the means to manage massive amounts of data quickly and in a way that lets a lot of users to access and modify the data. With a heftier price tag, a server database can hook you up with an impressive data management solution. Benefits to be gained when you opt to use a server database include:
– Server databases give flexibility.
– Server databases provide powerful performance.
– Server databases offer scalability